Thursday, June 9, 2011

My new (vintage) sewing machine

I really scored this weekend. My grandmother has passed her sewing machine down to me. It is a Singer (Graduate 287) and my grandpa bought it in Melbourne (Australia) in the 1970's.  The machine itself needs a service - I can't seem to get the tension to stick for too long and I'm having trouble with back stitching - but is is so nice to know that soon I'll have a machine in the house. I can sew whenever I like!

I'm also going along to a workshop on the 25th at the Stitchery Collective (http://thestitcherycollective.org.au/). A group of graduates and academics from the Fashion department at the local University are hosting workshops to show people how to refashion an old mens shirt into a jacket or dress. Very exciting! I'll probably be the only beginner in the room, but I'm sure it will be fun.  What a great initiative!  

No comments:

Post a Comment